Sunday, 7 December 2008

02.12.2008 - Tough day - 1st Site audit

2nd day in Saigon is .... pretty boring. I woke up at 830am in Msia which is 730am in Saigon and got myself setup for my 1st site audit. It is a nice sleep for that night but still home sick; wishing the next day is Saturday. Have good breakfast in the hotel and then headed off to the site approx. 830am. I was like... huh? The Vietnamese is picking me up with a bike? Gosh...

In fact I can't blame him that much with the bike because the traffic is extremely bad and it is so difficult to travel with a cab or even personal cars. All you can see is hundreds of bikes on the road squeezing each other and even taking over car's lane like no body business. Seriously... I thought I am a bad bike rider in Malaysia, but this trip, I think I am a good bike rider compared to these Vietnamese. Even the women are more fierce than me. You can't imagine the distance between all the bikes. It is like an inch only. Every time these biker and car approach our bike or my little friend approaching someones car or bike, I just close my eyes and do some prayer hoping nothing happen. Horrible.

Well, the audit is pretty smooth going except communication. I tried very best to talk to them word by word but yet non of them seems to understand what I am talking about. Not going to blame much as every country does have their ascent and it is tough to get along with it; especially with my own English more to Singlish style which end up with 'la', 'ma',.... Sometimes
after explaining again and again for couple of times and still they don't understand or giving you a different answer, you can imagine how hard it is going to be for the entire week. I started to get agitated and begin to use hand sign when they still look at me wondering what I am talking about. I know I am not tat good in English but I do try very hard to explain to them. Aiya.. wish I have a translator. Result? I am very surprise that there are so many findings in this site. After getting it done by end of day, I keep on asking how does this site earn their 1st year certification with all the non-conformance I found! It is tough to make such decision since the very first audit done 2 years back is also from my company staff. I guess I need to have a talk with my management on this.

After one whole day busy, I end up having my dinner in the room. Initially I was like hoping to travel to the downtown to have some nice local food and photographing. Of course I need the site's manager to take me along; which he had promised me yesterday. To my surprise, upon my arrival at the hotel, he says that today audit is very tiring for me and him, so he suggested me to plan for my dinner myself somewhere near to the hotel or the same place we went yesterday. I was like.. HUH? duh? is that how you treat your customer? So, I end up ordering American Sandwich and Keow Teow soup from the hotel room service. Believe me, I do feel like back home with these food because it taste exactly like Msia food. I watch TV and having my meal along.. what do you think? cool huh?

No comments: