Saturday, 19 February 2011

09.02.2011 - Hokkien New Year

This year, I am alone for 9th day prayer. Luckily I took lots of photo during the past few years at least it is now a guidance for me to figure out how to proceed with the prayer. In fact I have being with mom for years, so setting up and preparation of the prayer is not so difficult just that time that spend on getting those stuff is really killing me since my job is so pack since the day work started. I have being running around for the past few days preparing for the big prayers. I spend most of my free time in the evening planning and browsing those old picture what I need to do to get it done as it should be. A night before I took hours to glue red papers on the fruits and searching for suitable plates that matches the fruits and other edible products. I suppose to get things smaller portion since I am all alone this year but when I was in the night market yesterday I was like someone loose control; buying things like others did. The crowd was there and everyone seems happy to get thing ready. I was happy that time and keep buying things forgetting I am alone this year and I have to eat all of it instead of throwing after the prayers. I only discovered that I have overspend when I return home. Well, nothing wrong to get things more than it suppose to be but of course lesser when mom around.
Time reaches midnight and its time to get things ready. I think I did my job pretty well. Everything is ready around 9pm and I took my sweet little time bathing and getting ready for the night. I pick up my girlfriend around 1030pm whom have being offering to help me and accompany me for this year since mom is leaving me alone in the house doing it myself. At 1130pm, we got all things on the table and getting ready to start. The fire works out there is somehow a sign of midnight for those who have no watch or clock at home. The giant joss-stick is now placed in front of my house externally and placing/hanging the 8 ft fire crackers right exactly mid of the main entrance. This year I parked my car and my bike in the house unlikely years back where I usually remove it out and parked next door just to keep more space for the event. The space we have in the house is more enough to park more than 3 cars, so there are enough space for it. So, we started off with lighting up the giant joss-stick. fire crackers, burning gold (folded with gold color papers - some kind of origami folding techniques) and offer prayers to all the gods in the house with candles, joss-sticks and fruits. What really makes me feel strange and down is I am all alone in my family. No one is beside me except my girlfriend. I would say main purpose of this prayers is to gather all the family members somehow call reunion to offer prayers to God. But to me I am just alone and I don't really know what is call family now since no one is around for the prayers. Nevertheless, the prayers still need to carry on and continues in my family. Fire works are the only attraction that makes me feel warm and happy. Looking at the fireworks, it tells me there are lights deep in our heart, it is how we make it happen and happy like how we light it up. Prayers session ended an hour later. We have some light food served during the prayers and begin doing some cleaning before going on bed. There goes the day after days busy waiting for it to come.

No comments: